Saturday 1 December 2012

The Curse of Mercury in Sagittarius

Sometimes you don't make the connection straight away. A seemingly random idea or thought enters your brain and keeps returning to grab your attention. Eventually, if you're lucky, you can connect the dots and see the bigger picture.

So a few things happened that made me feel like nobody was listening to me. I knew I was right, but everyone disagreed, or worse, ignored me. This brought to mind the archetypal disaster movie hero. You know that guy, the one who predicts the unthinkable turn of events but nobody believes him? When the worst happens, it's usually too late for those who most vehemently disagreed with his prognosis of events. They were the ones who could only see things from their own narrow, material and self-serving point of view. They could not see the bigger picture.

The movie archetype comes to us from the Greek myth of Cassandra. Cassandra was granted the gift of prophecy by Apollo, but when she refused his amorous advances, he added a curse to the gift -  her prophecies would not be believed. Famously, nobody listened when she foresaw the destruction of Troy, with tragic results.

So why did I feeling like nobody was listening to me or believing me? I'm guessing because Mercury in Sagittarius turned retrograde on my natal Descendant, that chart point where we most immediately connect with the public, the other.

So what does this mean? What astro-insight is up for grabs if I connect the dots? Mercury in Sagittarius is in detriment, meaning it's in a sign where it can't operate to its best potential, where it needs a bit of help and support. Like that disaster movie hero, assistance might be hard to find. Mercury, as you know, is all about communication. It's the planet that needs to heard, needs to connect to others. Sagittarius is arguably the most righteous sign of the zodiac and it loves the bigger picture, but with Mercury in this sign it's not going to be easy to get the point across. Perhaps it's Mercury in Sagittarius' curse to always be right, but never to be believed? Maybe Mercury in Sag is astrology's Cassandra?

I should mention that I have Mercury in Sagittarius in the seventh house natally. It's square Saturn, Uranus and Pluto. No wonder I feel like nobody gets it that I'm right about everything! Thankfully, the fate of the world isn't depending on me being heard and believed! Right?

Post script: A certain Dr Zamenhof had Mercury in Sagittarius. He invented Esperanto with a grand vision of creating an easy-to-learn, politically neutral language to transcend nationality and foster understanding between people with different languages and cultures. The word Esperanto translates as "one who hopes". So utterly Sagittarius. The problem was nobody was interested in learning it. So totally Mercury in Sagittarius!

Mercury entered Sagittarius on 29th October 2012. It turned retrograde on 6 November at 04 Sagittarius 18, re-entering Scorpio on 14th November. It turned direct on 26 November at 18 Scorpio 10, re-enters Sagittarius on 11th December 2012 and leaves Sagittarius on 31st December 2012.



***********
 
Click here for December's Void of Course Moon times and Moon sign changes
 
Click here for December's Moon Phases
 
Click here for details of Saturn in Scorpio: Your Guide Through The Dark, Mandi Lockley's timely new ebook
 
Image: Cassandra by Evelyn De Morgan, 1898

Subscribe below to receive Astroair Astrology direct to your inbox: 

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

1 comment:

  1. I understand, but then I have an 11th House Leo Mercury square Neptune, so I'm probably just deceiving myself and craving attention from the world:) happy advent, Mads

    ReplyDelete

  Update (April 2024)   I have now moved my content to YouTube & you can view my channel,  On Purpose Astrology, by clicking on this lin...